Red Rocks Amphitheatre is the only naturally-occurring, acoustically perfect amphitheater in the world, and as such, Denver Arts & Venues understands the responsibility to not only maintain its natural beauty, but to operate as a sustainable venue.
In support of the City and County of Denver’s 2020 Sustainability Goals, Denver Arts & Venues developed the SMARTER Sustainable Arts & Venues campaign and has taken/is taking the following actions to reduce our impact and operate more sustainably:
- Implemented an advanced waste diversion and minimization program, including the collection of both recyclable and compostable materials in three-bin systems located throughout the venue
- Conduct a back of house sort of all waste produced after concerts to ensure that products go into proper waste streams.
- Use compostable service ware products at all concession stands.
- In 2015 these efforts resulted in a wasted diversion of over 50% from the landfill. (Our goal for 2016 is 70%)
- Installed an Orbio Cleaning system which turns tap water and salt into a high effective cleaning solution to reduce our use of chemical cleaning supplies.
- Currently exploring the option of solar energy for our stage roof.
- Offer five priority parking spaces for Car to Go users with 24/7 access.
- As part of the City of Denver’s Environmental Management System, Red Rocks Amphitheatre has been certified to ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 14001 since 2009. In support of the program, our operations team set annual goals for which we are responsible for meeting. CLICK HERE to learn more about the City and County of Denver’s Environmental Management System (EMS) certification.
How can you be involved?
Denver Arts & Venues and Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre invites concert goers and park visitors to contribute to the city’s sustainability efforts by taking these small steps:
- Reduce waste - Audience members are encouraged to sort their recycling and deposit it in the appropriate bin. Housekeeping staff will continue to sort and dispose of recyclable and compostable materials found on the ground in both the venue and parking lots.
- Carpool - Help Red Rocks and the urban corridor stay green by limiting the number of vehicles traveling to the park and amphitheater. Patrons who take turns carpooling to concerts with friends can save money on gas, relax in the backseat after a show, and help take care of the surrounding environment – not to mention cutting down on pre- and post-show traffic jams!
- Pack out trash and recyclables - Concertgoers, hikers and runners who use the parking lots and trails at Red Rocks for tailgating, snacking or picnicking are asked to store personal waste in their vehicles, pockets or bags and dispose of it properly at home. Curbing litter in the park keeps Red Rocks clean and safe, and preserves the natural beauty of one of Colorado’s greatest sources of pride.
- Share your ideas - Red Rocks Amphitheatre is interested in your suggestions to help make our venue more sustainable. Send ideas to @RedRocksCO or Facebook using #LoveThisPlace
THANK YOU TO OUR SUSTAINABILITY SPONSORS
Alpine Waste & Recycling is Red Rocks Amphitheatre's Official Recycling Partner